The concept of boosting immunity is highly alluring but the capability of achieving this has turned hugely elusive for more reasons than one. For the immune system to work properly, it needs harmony and balance. However, there isn’t any scientifically proven links between improved immune function and lifestyle. It also does not mean to say that the impacts of lifestyle on a person’s immune system are not intriguing and it should not be studied. Researchers are working non-stop to explore the positive impacts of exercise, diet, psychological stress, age, and various other factors on humans and animals’ immune systems.
Effectiveness of supplements and herbs
Though a few preparations have turned effective for altering some elements of the functioning of the immune system, yet there isn’t any evidence that proves that supplements and herbs protect you better against diseases and infections. So, whether or not a herb or in this case a substance can improve immunity has turned into a highly complex matter.
Supplements that can turn effective in improving your immune system
- Omega-3s – When people consider nutrition for their immune health, then they think of minerals and vitamins. For optimizing your immune health, you can augment your intake of omega-3. According to research, omega-3 fatty acids, like DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) can improve immune health as they lessen cell stress responses.
- Probiotics –Probiotics, when administered in an appropriate amount, can provide many health benefits and they also play huge roles in improving immune health.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D has been getting a lot of attention for its role to support immune health. And so, its reputation in the form of an immune-boosting compound is well-deserved. Vitamin D was once considered chiefly for its huge positive effects on bone health and calcium absorption and it can modulate both adaptive and innate immune responses.
- Melatonin – This is a hormone that the pineal gland produces and its chief function is facilitating sleep onset. Besides its regulatory impacts on sleep, it has also turned popular in the form of a potent antioxidant which helps in regulating the chief cellular elements of the people’s innate immune response.
- Curcumin–Curcumin is a potent antioxidant that has many research-backed health benefits. According to research, this supplement can support a person’s cardiovascular health, mental health, brain functions, and of course, immune system functions.
Other supplements that turn helpful
Besides the above-mentioned supplements that you can buy from a supplement store, a few other supplements too can help in augmenting people’s immune response and they are:
- Pelargonium sidoides
- B complex vitamins